Friday, October 30, 2009

The Newest Addition to Our Home...Our Giant Green Chair

Hello All! NLG here, writing my first blog post EVER! I haven't really been keeping up with the blog except to tell Wasp to take pictures of things to post (ie: our "steak dinner"). So when I got to work today and checked it, I was shocked that she failed to tell all of you about our furniture delivery last Thursday (read as: the Wasp almost killed me/the night we almost threw our backs out).

So...my aunt is moving and had a whole bunch of stuff to give us (if it weren't for her and our parents our apartment would be empty...we wouldn't even have a kitchen table). She sent a moving guy, we'll call him "Willy" and he brought this guy with him, we'll call him "Hands". So the drive all the way to us in a pick up truck laden down with a ton of stuff: a desk for Wasp, a GIGANTIC green leather chair and ottoman (my favorite piece of furniture of all time), a new smallish TV stand, a love seat and an adorable magazine rack. So Willy and Hands get to our apartment and call us to tell us they are downstairs and we run down to meet them. When we opened the front door, Willy already had the ottoman on his head, ready to carry it to the second floor.

I was put in charge of "watching the truck" (they had parked illegally in front of our building) and Wasp went up stairs to tell them where to put everything. An hour later, everything was unloaded, Willy and Hands were on their way home and I went upstairs and found Wasp standing in the middle of our living room which now looked like we had just moved in (again).

The love seat didn't fit in our living room and is now in my bedroom covered by a hot pink blanket to make it match the rest of my room. And, the green chair is gigantic. Like, you can fit two people in it comfortably. Our living room is not that big and I remembered this chair being a lot smaller (lesson learned: how big a room is makes a difference when you remember the size of a piece of furniture). It took Wasp and I more than forty minutes and about 9 different arrangements to fine one that looked decent. The ottoman and the chair are separate, they wouldn't fit together, and Wasp and I moved everything all by ourselves...sans the normal male figures in our lives who were busy that night.

Needless to say after all of this, we were too busy to cook and were forced to order Chinese and lay in our living room watching Grey's Anatomy. The story does not end here, though...while watching McSteamy and McDreamy on the screen, I started to get itchy. I went to my room and changed into my PJs only to discover, I exaggerate not, a dozen mosquito bites all over my arms and legs. Then I went to wash my face and found about six more. I looked like a had developed a deadly skin condition.


Lessons learned:
1. giant pieces of furniture should be considered carefully when your apartment is small
2. Willy and Hands can lift almost anything
3. Wasp and I are not completely unable to fend for ourselves (though we do whine when we have to)
4. Chinese food and McDreamy makes an awesome end to a Thursday night
5. Mosquito bites do not. Do not stand under the light on your stoop for forty minutes in Brooklyn. The mosquitoes are particularly aggressive.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment